Thursday, June 25, 2009

Pedagogical Agents

I really don’t know where to start in my reaction to these articles. After reading, I no longer feel that these Conversational Pedagogical Agents are very useful in the context of learning. Actually, I would like to qualify that statement and say that only applies for undirected use of CPAs. Since a huge majority of the students in both of the articles used the CPA for reasons that have nothing to do with the educational purpose intended, I would say they were better off without using the CPAs, especially in the case of the high school students, because they just end up getting abused. Regarding the inappropriate comments made to the CPAs, I have to wonder about the set-up of the students work environment. I don’t remember reading about it in the article, but especially in the case of high schoolers, their position in relation to one another could be a factor for the overwhelming amount of improper comments. For example, when I was in 9th grade, AIM was a really big deal. AIM, for those of you who may not know, is basically a way to chat with people one-on-one, but with many conversations between you and another person simultaneously. Anyways, one of the “people” that you could talk to was SmarterChild (at least I think that’s what his screen name was). He was a form of CPA that was online to answer questions. He could also tell you movie times at any theatre, play games such as hangman and trivia, and show you cool pictures. Anyways, the point is that my friends were much more apt to ask SmarterChild inappropriate questions when there were a bunch of people who could laugh with him. SmarterChild was a lot less entertaining when you were by yourself. That said, I think students would be more likely to behave in this manner towards the CPA if their peers were with them. Is it possible that everyone’s computers were next to each other? Could this be a possible scenario?

This is a tangent, but I thought Asimov’s robot laws were interesting and I realized I had seen them before; they are the exact laws that are used in the move I, Robot with Will Smith! Awesome. Since this is a media class I thought I’d mention it J

Both of these articles also implied, at least somewhat, that the CPAs would potentially be treated differently depending on the gender. The Veletsianos et. al. article states that they, “found that participants applied gender stereotypes to computers even though the only suggestion of gender was vocal cues.” This also supports the idea that humans tend to project human-like qualities on the CPAs. This information can be used to create a better CPA character that the students respect. This was also addressed in the article and examples were given such as: A character with glasses, a name beginning with Mr. or Dr., or positive occupational roles. However, I wonder how this would play out in terms of the gender problem that both articles referred to. Can you have a respected CPA that is a woman? How would that woman become the proper authority figure? Would applying the changes that Veletsianos et. al. suggested be enough to garner respect?

The fact that only ONE student said ‘thank you’ to the CPA is incredible. However, I don’t think this shows the disrespect that these students show their authority figures; rather I believe it is an effect of the students realizing that the CPA is not a real human. No one is reading these transcripts so literally nobody knows what is being said in these conversations. Actually when I think about it, if I had to ask a CPA for information today I don’t know that I would say ‘thank you,’ and it isn’t because of my lack of respect. I don’t say thank you to my Word document when it opens either. Hmmm, this is interesting to think about; would that mean I would be disrespecting the CPA?

Overall I think these articles are really interesting and it makes me want to work with CPAs to see what it’s like, especially in an educational capacity.

3 comments:

  1. Megan, you mention something very interesting to me with your personal AIM anecdote; that "abusing" CPAs isn't really fun unless your with a group. To support your claim, although I don't have the article directly in front of me, a number of students mentioned that it became a group activity to sit around with their buddies outside of class and mess with the CPA as they got a "kick" out of it. This is interesting to me as if a student were to sit around and ask the CPA sexually explicit questions by themselves, they would be considered by their peers to be a "pervert." But, if the activity is done with peers, it seems to be an activity enjoyed by all.

    So what might your observation mean for CPA use in school settings. Is it as simple as just putting more physical space between students in the computer lab so they can't screw around as easily, or is it more than that? (That's a rhetorical question as I know it's more than that haha).

    Anyways, the social component of your observation is very interesting to me, and I wonder how it implicates further designs and uses of CPAs.

    But, I agree with you that at least right now, they seem pretty useless, and just more of a distraction than anything else.

    Great work.

    -Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Megan,

    Great post. I have to agree with you on CPAs - as of right now - what is the point? Also, I liked your nod to "I, Robot" - I get the feeling that I should have read it before seeing the Will Smith blockbuster. I am sure my imagination would have been better than the creepy robot they used in the movie - oh, well.

    Don't disrespect the CPA! HA, just joking.

    Have a great summer.

    -Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan, I was one of those kids abusing SmarterChild in high school in order to entertain my friends, and that bot is a great example to consider in thinking about CPAs. While I am incredibly skeptical of the use of these teaching agents, and for many of the reasons you cite, your post also reminds me to remain open to using them once the literature and practice catches up. It shall be interesting to see where this medium might take education in any case. Good post!

    ReplyDelete